No picture today just wanted to share my thoughts...03.10.16
I get this a lot, HOW MUCH for that print?! HOW MUCH for a photo session?! It's only a picture, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes!
This is what I tell them, what I had to go through to produce a single image...
This is my cost for the materials that's part of my photography, I like to call it an investment in my art & myself...
- -Camera body $3k+
- -Lens $6-$8k (accumulated over the years)
- -Editing software $120 annually
- -Editing software plugins $300. Annually (aprox cost)
- -computer $3k
- -computer monitor $1k
- -monitor calibrator $200.
- -Wacom tablet $300.
- -repair cost for damaged gear.
- -cost of maintaining my website.
- -cost of paying for exclusive online classes to continue to grow as a photographer.
- -cost of hands on workshops.
- *Not listed, flashes, LED lights, light modifiers (softboxes), light stands, ND filters, tripod, camera bags & accessories.
- -planning when & where to shoot, locally, outer island or mainland.
- -getting up at 4am to load my gear & driving to the location to shoot sunrise.
- -taking chances on getting my gear wet from salt water splashes & rain when shooting my seascapes for sunrise or bad weather.
- -My time waiting on location for the sunrise or a client.
- -Time spent on editing
- -Time spent searching the web for new inspiration.
- -Time spent researching new gear & techniques.
So if someone says it just a picture, it shouldn't take you that long? HOW MUCH for that print?! HOW MUCH for the photo session?!! Please be reminded of this post & please share this with everyone who has no idea as to what I put into each & everyone of my images that I edit & share...Aloha, Ryan